Welcome to the Wandle Piscators
Founded in 2004, the Club was formally constituted on 21 October 2005 – the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar and the death of Admiral Nelson, reputedly one of the Wandle’s most famous fishermen (though there’s still some debate about how much he actually fished the river!)
The design of the Club’s logo is based on an ancient fish-hook found in the river in King George’s Park by one of our Founder Members, Gordon Bell.
Today, the Club is committed to helping the historic River Wandle come back to life after centuries of pollution and abuse, and the famous writer Peter Lapsley has described this urban chalkstream’s recovery as ‘a modern miracle‘.
As part of the Living Wandle Landscape Partnership, with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund, we’ve produced ‘An Angler’s Guide to the River Wandle’. You can click here to download a pdf version.
Pollution or poaching?
If you see either of these on the Wandle or any other river, please call the Environment Agency’s emergency hotline: 0800 80 70 60
The Wandle Piscators are pleased to announce we have secured the angling lease to National Trust waters in Morden Hall Park.
We are still in the process of finalising what areas will be opened up for general fishing, bailiffs only/juniors and out of bounds. This will also include all areas previously held by MHP Angling Club. The lease will officially commence from March 15th.
The Wandle Piscators look forward to welcoming members of the MHP Angling Club and new members looking to join.
Why join the Wandle Piscators?
Membership of the Wandle Piscators is open to anyone with an interest in fishing and restoring the River Wandle to full health and biodiversity.
Benefits of membership include:
- Opportunities to meet and fish with lots of other like-minded anglers, in South London and further afield, who are also interested in fishing, river restoration and the Wandle
- Members-only events including fishing trips, fly tying classes, river walks and much more
- Full access to the Rother Fishery Association waters
- Priority tickets for Wandle Piscators’ Annual Dinners
- That legendary nice warm fuzzy feeling…
In return, your membership and interest in the club will help with the following:
- Club membership of the Angling Trust and Fish Legal, giving us direct access to professional legal services if the Wandle is damaged by pollution
- Environmental restoration projects on the Wandle to improve the river’s habitat for many species of fish, birds and insects: flow deflectors, coir rolls and much more
- Core running costs of the Club including this website, membership administration, attendance at fairs and local events, and other minimal expenditure